This exercise will help you map out the conditions, challenges and visions of your department and make sure that all team members are on the same page.
- Divide a poster into three sections with the headings PAST, PRESENT and FUTURE. Below each heading you write the following questions:
First section: How did our department look previously?
Second section: How does our department look today? What have been the biggest changes?
Third section: How will the landscape look in future? What will our most valuable assets be? What will the biggest changes be?
- You need one poster for every three participants. You hang them on the wall for everyone to see.
- Lay out up to three Pocket Sets on the floor, the more cards the better.
- Now ask all participants to find a picture card that illustrates something about the department in the past. Ask them to form groups of three and present their cards to each other.
- Ask each group to agree on one card that represents their group the best. Give the groups the time they need and be available with advice if they need it.
- When all the groups have agreed on a card, they present it to everyone and hang it in the first section of the poster next to the question.
- Second round is very similar. Each participant finds a card corresponding to each of the two questions. Now the participants must form new groups of three. In this round, each participant only gets seven minutes to present their two cards.
- In the third round, each participant chooses three cards. Otherwise, the process is the same. This time, however, you leave the room and the groups get nine minutes to get ready.
- When all questions have been answered and the posters are finished, you discuss the results. At the end of the exercise, you should have a detailed and useful picture of the past, current and future state of your department.
The exercise provides a basis for working on defining vision, mission and values. Before the exercise you can use the Dialoogle cards to describe your team.