- Make sure that the client is no longer in shock and that the conversation can take place in a safe environment where you will not be disturbed.
- Lay out ten randomly chosen Dialoogle picture cards in front of the individual and ask: “Can you choose an image that illustrates the effect that the traumatic event has had on you?”. If the ten cards do not speak to the individual, lay out five new cards and let the client regard them for a while.
- When the individual has picked the first picture card and talked about it, continue by laying out five new cards and asking questions like: “Can you find an image that reflects how you felt when the incident occurred?”
- Lay out five new cards before asking another question. Continue to ask questions and encourage the individual to choose images that illustrate the things they are saying.
- Once you sense that the individual has worked through enough for now, ask them: “Can you choose an image that illustrates how you feel after talking these things through?”
If the individual finds it difficult to choose between ten picture cards, you can choose to only lay out five cards. If making a choice is still difficult, remove the cards and lay out two new ones. Continue by only laying out two cards each time.